Kacha Lanka Mangsho / Green Chilli Mutton Curry

I have a problem of stumbling. I mean I stumble quite frequently. Real deal. I even stumble upon plain floor, plain street...and even when I am not wearing any heal. My parents has tried to rectify this problem, I have tried all my life...but in vain. Nothing has shown even a tiny winy improvement on my stumbling style. Well the fact is, now...I am quite habituated with all these stumbling and tilting and hitting and then quite fortunately getting injured. It neither makes me feel awkward nor disturbed or even a little bit ashamed.


how to cook lonka mangsho or mutton with green chillies curry

how to cook kacha lanka mangsho





Yes, I know how to walk. I have passed almost million of miles walking on the busy, crowded and topsy-turvy almost dug up streets of Kolkata. But still almost inevitably always miss the coming hindrance standing before me. Sometimes I even miss a whole car in the parking zone when I search for our car with my hands full of groceries. Silently this typical feature has become a part of my walking style. Sometimes my husband aware me beforehand about a small hole or stone in front of me...or a broken branch with leaves... I nod him with a great assurance that I have got it and definitely I will not hit myself against something and hurt my nose or stumble over something which will completely tilt me down. But finally I do what I always do and what obviously I have to do. I actually hit or just plain stumble upon.

how to cook lanka mangsho

very spicy mutton curry with green chillies recipe

I am always a little more attracted towards the spicy foods. Food with additional chillies and an extra dose of fire in it. So of course I had to make this mutton dish. It was in a way written for me. Ha Haa!!!

how to cook green chilli mutton

how to cook spicy mutton curry with lots of green chillies

I found this recipe first time in one of the foodie groups in Facebook. But they made the dish with “Khasi”, and it was directed to be cooked on “dum”. So I avoided that. Cooking mutton or lamb on dum is seriously not easy. The meat needs to be tenderized with raw papaya and lemon juice. And then it needs to be slow cooked for a long time. So...I just looked some more. Then I found quite a similar recipe on the page of “Oh! Calcutta”. Finally I took little from both the recipes and made kacha lanka mangsho / Green chilli mutton curry.

kacha lanka die mangsho

This recipe of “Lonka Mangsho” / "Kacha Lanka Mangsho" is quite similar to green chicken but what makes it special is its increased use of green chillies, fresh crushed black peppercorns and mustard oil. A fiery dish with subtle taste and a complete non-chalant Bengali attitude..despite a brilliant lot of things going inside it. For me the meat morsels of “Lonka Mangsho” / "Green Chilli Mutton Curry" have to be tender, juicy and succulent. They should not be overcooked. Soft enough to be pulled apart but strong enough to stick to the bones. That is the way I prefer my muttons. The perfect ones. But here is my little secret: Many times I mess up. Muttons turn out undercooked, which I then cook again. Sometimes I overcook. Which I am trying to overcome. :)

how to cook lonka mangsho recipe

Lonka Mangsho / Mutton and Green Chillies Curry
Serves 4

how to cook kacha lanka mangsho / green chilli mutton curry bengali style

Ingredients:
500gm mutton (boneless) / 700gm mutton on bones
2 medium onions
5-6 cloves of garlic – minced / paste
2, 1 inch stick of ginger – minced / paste
12-15 green chillies (reduce or increase according to your heat tolerance)
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves (It will take almost 2 small bunches of them)
a few mint leaves (like 6-8, for just a hint of flavour)
½ cup thick yogurt
1 large stick of cinnamon
4 green cardamoms
4 cloves
6-8 whole black peppercorns
1 large bay leaf / 2 small bay leaves
½ tsp nutmeg & mace powder
1 small black cardamom
2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
Salt
½ tsp sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp mustard oil

Method:
In a blender put together the coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies and the thick yogurt. Blend until smooth.
In a large bowl take all the mutton pieces. Pour the prepared coriander leaves, mint leaves, yogurt and green chilli paste. Add in the lemon juice, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, nutmeg & mace powder, salt and half of the oil.
Let it marinate for 1 -2 hours or preferably overnight.
Heat oil / ghee in a kadai and add the cinnamon stick, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, whole black peppercorns and bay leaf. Sauté for half a minute or so, and when the oil becomes fragrant throw all the sliced onions into them.
Saut̩ until translucent and add in the ginger Рgarlic paste.
Cook till the onions turn golden brown.
Now add the marinated mutton into them. Add the sugar.
Mix well and cook covered till all the water evaporates. Stir in between to avoid any kind of sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Now, you can slow cook like this, with adding little water from time to time, until all the mutton is soft and cooked perfectly.
Or, you can transfer the entire half cooked dish to a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and pressure cook, till it blows 10-12 whistles. If your mutton is tender, it might take lesser time. So check that how much the mutton has cooked and then pressure cook accordingly.
Once done, let the steam go out of the cooker naturally and then open the lid.
Simmer till the gravy reaches your preferred consistency.
Check and adjust the seasoning.
Put off the flame and serve hot with some roti / paratha / rice.

Comments

Popular Posts