Homemade Strawberry Jam

 In this age of abundant information there is almost every tutorial available in the internet. So if someone thinks of becoming self sufficient in terms of food and wants to give up processed food all they has to do is just decide. Last year before leaving for India I had around 2 kgs of frozen fruits in my freezer. It was a mix of blueberries, raspberries, cherries and strawberries. Just a day before leaving the only way I could think which did not include not throwing them away, was to make a jam of them. So I just simmered them with whatever sugar I had left and I got a beautiful mixed jam to carry with me. It was a bonus as my son loved it.

Since then I have stopped buying jams and I make my own jam from frozen fruits. The frozen fruits are way cheaper than the fresh ones and no one will know. Besides they come fully trimmed and hulled so it is also less work for me. As I make tea or breakfast I start simmering them and by the time I finish the jam also gets ready. Make your own jam in home is that easy. 

So follow this very simple and easy homemade strawberry jam recipe and I am sure you will fall in love with homemade jams just like that.

Homemade Simple Strawberry jam recipe

Homemade Strawberry Jam

Ingredients:
  1. 1 kg strawberries (frozen or fresh)
  2. 500gm white sugar
  3. Juice of 1 lemon / 2 lime
  4. 1 tsp salt

Method: 
In a saucepan throw in the strawberries with sugar.
Cover and gently simmer on low until they soften and look syrupy.
Simmer for around 15-20 minutes or until the syrup starts to become thick and sticky.
Add the lemon / lime juice and salt.
Stir and mix for about 2-3 minutes more.
Switch off the flame and wait for the jam to cool down.
Transfer to a clean glass jar and keep in the fridge when it has come to room temperature.
Keep in the fridge for a month and enjoy. 

Comments

Popular Posts