Mathri

Some of the severe consequences of life are often felt rather slowly. I always had a robust imagination of how I will pamper my child, but little did I realised back then that how it will affect my life. Although I complain so much about having little to no time for myself, given the chance I will never change a thing from my life. I love it the way it is, and it would have been better if I had the particular locket of going back to the time that Harmione had in the Harry Potter series. I wish, I had more time, 48 hours to the day, so that I could have spent a little on myself as well. Doing the things I like, and more. 

Like making these crisp Mathri, that are so tempting with a cup of tea that they almost disappeared after 3-4 days. These flaky, short and crisp salted crisps are as good as it sounds.  

easy flaky mathri recipe

flaky mathri recipe

Mathri

Ingredients:
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of pure desi ghee
Salt as per taste
2 tsp sparsely ground black peppercorns
1 tsp carom seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup of cold water to knead the dough
500ml of ghee to fry

Method:
In a big bowl take the flour with salt and 1/2 cup of ghee.
Gently rub the ghee with the flour to create a sand like coarse texture. Once done, you should be able to grab a little flour mix inside your fist and once opened they will hold the shape unless you crumble it with a little pressure.
Now add the crushed coarse black pepper, carom seeds and cumin seeds.
Slowly add water until the dough take a shape. The dough should be hard and very oily, and not at all soft and mushy.
Once you can prepare a smooth ball with the dough, wrap it with a cling film and let it sit at the kitchen counter for 30 minuted.
After 30 minutes, take a partake sized ball from the dough, and roll it into a thin chapati. Sprinkle some flour on them and drizzle some ghee, and roll the dough to give it the shape like a flute.
Thinly slice the flute and then take each pinwheel and roll them into a nice thin circle.
Once you have a sizeable portion, fry them in low to medium heat, until they become golden and crisp.
Let them come to room temperature before serving or putting in an airtight container. It stays good for 3-4 weeks at normal tmeperature outside the fridge. 

Comments

Popular Posts