Rajma Curry with Soya Keema / Indian Red Kidney Beans Curry with Soya Granules

I think my prayer was paid attention and Abidjan had a full blown mashing rain last night. Well...then it stopped in the dawn and then again started in the noon. The sky was black like a boxer’s punched eye and it was not ready to stop very soon.

soya rajma recipe

rajma and soya keema curry recipe

When I was in school, birthdays used to be special. Growing up was fun, exciting and full of new things. Because having birthdays meant new dress, having an elaborate lunch, having chocolates and gifts, being special for a whole day...and most important of all....a day to have no scolding at all. But then...as years passed they started to become less and less important. Now, it doesn’t bother me at all. Now I have much bigger things to think of when I think of my birthday. The most panicking is I am going to be 30 in the coming few years. I am getting old so quickly...and I can do nothing at all. Ok...whatever...birthdays doesn’t excite me (read "tense") now. It’s just another day in the year.

simple rajma curry recipe
Temper the oil with whole spices and then add the chopped onions. Saute till they turn golden.
vegetarian rajma curry with soya granules recipe
Next add the minced ginger and garlic.
simple rajma curry with soya granules recipe
When the raw flavour of the garlic is gone add the chopped tomatoes.
rajma curry recipe
When the tomatoes are cooked add the minced soya, salt and powdered spices.
Ma called me in the morning and asked what I am doing for the day...what I am cooking for the lunch. But I had no plans and my reply left my mother in a rather “what the hell!!!” kind of reaction, and when she asked me whether I have made “payesh”...it gave me shivers. Really...making “payesh” for my own birthday is so cliché!! Isn’t the idea to eat only rather than cook and eat?? But she and mami insisted me and I ended up making an instant payesh for myself. A little bowl...and that is enough. My birthday celebration ended there. In the afternoon I opened a packet of “Smarties”, which is actually gems, and munched in the whole packet. Birthdays should have some considerations on calories as well. Don’t you think?? Then I played Anjan Dutta”s songs out loud and played “Mr. Haul” again and again.

rajam with soya granules recipe
Mix in everything, cook for 3 minutes and the add the curd.
simple rajma keema curry recipe
Next add the boiled rajma. Also add in the water in which the rajma was boiled.
rajma chawal recipe
Cover and simmer till the desired consistency is reached and then add in the kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
Now the evening is almost here. Hubby is coming home and we are going out. To have a kind of celebration. And now I can’t hide. I guess some occasions are not for you, it’s for everyone else. Where you have to go with the rhythm...whether you like it or not. But yes...I am going to enjoy my cake and pizza. I am sure of it!! J

rajma keema curry recipe

I made this Rajma with Soya Keema last week. I wanted to make rajma with mutton keema but I completely forgot that I am out of it so replaced that with soya keema. A good replacement I must say.For a complete vegetarian version, these soya granules completely stole my heart away. Besides I have eaten the rajma curry so many times that now I really want to experiment. And this turned out to be a very good one. You should try Rajma with Soya Granules / Keema , it’s such a filling veg dish for any day, and a decent taste changer too.

Rajma Curry with Soya Keema
Serves 6-8

veg rajma keema recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup rajma / red kidney beans
1 cup minced soya
1 medium onion – chopped
1 medium tomato - chopped
4-6 garlic cloves – minced / paste
1 inch stick of ginger – minced / paste
A handful of fresh coriander leaves – chopped
1 medium cinnamon stick
3 green cardamoms
3 cloves
1 bay leaf
4-5 black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
 1 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves
1 tsp garam masala powder
¼ th cup thick curd
2 green chillies – chopped
Salt
2 tbsp oil

Method:
Wash and soak the rajma / red kidney beans in water overnight and then boil them with some salt and 3 cups of water, until they become soft from inside. I generally do this with pressure cooker. I pressure cook the rajma / kidney beans till the cooker blows 3 whistles.
Wash and soak the soya keema / soya granules in water for 2 hours. Once done, squeeze all the water from them and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai / pan and add in the cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf, black peppercorns and cumin seeds.
Sauté them in the oil for 30 seconds or until the oil becomes aromatic and then add the chopped onions to them.
Saut̩ and cook the onions till they are translucent and their edges have started to become golden and then add the ginger Рgarlic paste into it.
Mix and cook for 2 more minutes or until the raw garlic flavour is gone and then add the chopped tomatoes to them.
Sprinkle some salt and cook till the tomatoes are all mushy and they have started to ooze out oil from them.
At this point add the minced soya to them and also add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
Mix in, add the curd and cook for 2 minutes.
Then pour in the boiled rajma along with its water.
Mix and cook covered, till it starts to boil.
Once it’s boiling, open the cover and then taste and adjust the seasonings.
Simmer till the desired consistency of the gravy is achieved and then add the kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
Finally give it a good stir and put off the flame.

Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on top of them and serve hot with roti / chapatti / steamed hot rice.

Comments

Popular Posts