Dalia Khichuri / Broken Wheat Khichdi / Bulgur khichdi

I took a break from mithai making when my gulab jamun did not turn out as I wanted. I had a grumpy face and left the hope that I ever will be able to make something like that. I tried making rasgulla many a times in the past. But every time it turned out either soggy or broken or not puffed up enough. But this time...it came out perfectly. Round, spongy and exactly like the store bought rasgullas. I was above the seventh sky...and really could not make out exactly when I had the courage to cook so many things in life. From a girl who dreaded the kitchen chores, who didnot even know how to light a gas or turn the micro oven on....today, it feels like as if I am a different person now. Although there are more things to learn ahead....I am happy that finally I have found out something which gives me joy in the process of learning. I just want to cook and I want to know everything, from history to science about Indian cuisine...it seems I am in heaven. I have finally found out happiness in what I do, and what I make.

how to cook khichdi with broken wheat

dalia die khichuri recipe

Burghul or broken wheat or dalia...as we all know it, is very nutritious and at the same time, very easy to make. Khichdi / khichuri is a very simple recipe to follow with it. It’s extremely light and healthy. Unlike other khichdri recipes, those which are made with rice and lentils, dalia khichdi can be cooked within 15 minutes...and its unexpectedly tasty.

khichdri recipe hotchpotch recipe broken wheat khichdi recipe

indian hotchpotch with burgul
Temper the ghee / oil with whole spices and hing / asafoetida.

how to cook dalia khichdi
Add the tomatoes, chopped green chillies and ginger.

how to cook daliya khichdri recipe
Add the vegetables when the tomato is cooked.

Some people do not like the taste of dalia / broken wheat...but cook it with some ghee, and it will absolutely change your decision about this dish. In a novel I read the main character cooking the dalia with lots of lemon juice and made this a tangy dish. I used the process here and the khichdi came out brilliant with a touch of tang in it.

daliya khichdi recipe
Add the dalia / broken wheat.

dalia khichuri recipe with step by step pictures
Add the mung dal .

cracked wheat / daliya khichuri recipe with step by step pictures
Add water, lemon juice and slitted green chilles and cook till done.

simple dalia khichdi recipe

Dalia Khichuri / Dalia Khichdi
Serves 3

easy khichdi recipe daliya khichdi

Ingredients:
1 cup dalia / bulgur / broken wheat (I have used fine bulgur, but there is also a rougher version available in the market)
½  cup mung dal / yellow lentils
1 tomato – chopped
1 inch ginger stick - chopped
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 medium potato – cut into 4 pieces
A handful of beans – cross cut
½ cup green peas
A handful of baby carrots / ½ cup roughly chopped carrots
1 tbsp ghee / oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp hing / asafoetida
1 small cinnamon stick
2 green cardamoms
2 cloves
Juice of 1 lemon
2 whole green chillies - slitted
1 green chilli - chopped (optional)
Salt

Method:
Wah and soak the dalia / broken wheat in water for 10-15 minutes.
Heat the ghee / oil in a pressure cooker and add in the cumin seeds, hing / asafoetida, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick and cloves.
Sauté for half a minute or until the ghee becomes aromatic and then add the chopped tomatoes, chopped green chillies and ginger to them.
Sauté and cook the tomatoes till they become mushy and they start to release oil from them.
Then add the minced ginger, cauliflower florets, cut potatoes, beans, carrots and green peas.
Sprinkle some salt over them and cook the vegetables on medium heat till they become a little golden.
Then add the washed burgul / dalia and mix it with everything.
Stir for 2 minutes and then add the mung dal to them.
Quickly stir and mix in and then add in 4 cups of water. I wanted my khichdi to be a little runny. If you want the consistency a thicker add in 3 cups of water.
Sprinkle some more salt if necessary and let the water come to a boil.
Once the water starts to boil, put in the slitted green chillies and the lemon juice.
Stir and put on the cover.
Cook the dalia on medium heat, until the cooker blows 4 whistles.
Let the pressure release on its own and then open the cover.

Serve hot with some chopped coriander leaves and a dollop of butter on top of them.

Comments

Popular Posts