Currently Reading: Delhi Is Not Far by Ruskin Bond

As a child and as a student I have always loved books. But of course the books have to be strictly out of my syllabus. It can be fiction, non fiction and I even enjoyed reading science books of senior classes and in holidays I used to read the only encyclopedia that I had in my home reading the different layers of the leaves, the atmosphere of mars and I was enchanted by the wondrous life under water.


 My mother was the only person there who encouraged me to read more but my excessive reading habits sometimes even irritated her to such an extreme level that she used to threat me to throw away all my books if I ignore my school books any longer. Belonging to a middle class family and reading in a bengali medium school I was more devoted towards bengali books be it modern or Tagore or Satyajit Roy than books of other language!! It was not until my 10th exam that I started reading english literature with a lot more interest!! But classics were of more interest then rather than Ruskin Bond or Roald Dahl. Its only recently that I came in touch with Ruskin Bond. The first story that I read was Time Stops at Shamli....and I was left enchanted. A few days later I got this book DELHI IS NOT FAR.


Delhi Is Not Far is about Arun and the people he knows around him. The story is based on a little town named Pipalnagar. Each person has their own lives and their own dreams of their future. The little and delicate details of their lives are heart touching. The lives are small and not full of events while the daily routine are same as they were yesterday. The friendship between and Arun and Suraj are something that every man on earth craves their friendship to be...without demand, without expectation but a heart full of care and worry for others. There is this barber named Deep Chand who has the dream of opening his own salon in Delhi and give a hair cut to the Prime Minister of India. Aziz  who also wants to go to Delhi. There is Kamala, another interesting character who appears to have a soft corner for Arun but Arun thinks she has fallen for Suraj.


Ruskin Bond has shown to describe the daily activity of life in a way that seems a blessing. Having the roof on top of our head and having friends beside makes the life a lot easier than being alone. The story ends with Arun going to Delhi and agreeing to a job for publishing house and writes a letter to his friend. I will not reveal more of the story as every piece of word is full of happiness and a purity that I only get from Ruskin Bond. With his magic touch the rusty roads and nooks and corners of Pipalnagar becomes lively. I come to know the town life...the frustration and the simplicity of it and I like it.


I look forward to read more from Ruskin Bond...I have already some of his works. And I enjoy reading his children's story the most. If you are reading this and have any rading suggestions about Ruskin Bond feel free to share with me in the comment section.


Comments

Popular Posts