My first grocery shopping

Have you ever seen a pearl before its use in any ornament?? In a box wrapped with cotton balls so nothing can harm it...even there can not be any scratch on it!! I am raised like this from the first day I was born. Yes...I have struggled, I have struggled a lot..but from the perspective of education. I have eaten what was given on my plate, wore what was given to me without any question and without any objection. In short I could have been an ideal girl that any famlily or parent could have wished for. But still they were not happy because they thought I could have been better in  terms of obedience as of course I used to be a little ziddy....in terms of what I want around myself. The problem aroused how I should keep my books or which color of curtain I want on my window...all silly matters.
My sister on the other hand are really active. She started doing grocery shopping from the age of 10 and played second fiddle to my mother in keeping the house to its place. She is an expert cook and knows almost everything where the household things are kept. So despite me being the elder sister she played all the duties of an elder daughter of the family with respect and with perfection.
But days are not the same always. Sometimes mood swings take place and we tell some bad things to close people that we should not. But words are words. Once told can never be taken back and impact is made permanently. That's what happened with my sister. And I was almost to tears that she could tell me those words and thought that I should at least try to do my own things that I need rather depending on others to complete them.
That day I needed some necessary things for my diet. My juice was finished today and the nuts they were also not in stock. The curds are not there and I needed raisins and dates for evening snacks. So I took my money and headed towards the market. But then I did not know that where to buy those things. I saw the juice curtain while coming home the previous day. Then I queried my mother about the local shop to buy nuts and all that and headed toward that. And yes I bought them. I only skipped the dates and bought raw nuts instead of roasted. But its okay....I will learn while doing!!
But what I want to talk about the feeling that I got while shopping all on my own. I can't put into words or compare it to anything because it was so different and so special. Other times mother or sister would forget somethings but I took everything that I needed and I was satisfied with myself that I then and there decided to do my things all by myself. Of course you can earn money and that also gives you an immense pleasure but if you can use them as you decide and not depend on others for even a glass of water. That is when you become full independent. That is when you feel free..!!

Comments

Popular Posts