Currently Reading : Memoirs Of A Giesha



Having lots of time for me right now...I am investing all  my time into reading books...lots and lots of books. So today I thought of sharing them with you all...whoever is reading my blog here! So starting this new segment with the book that I started reading a few days back. ~ MEMOIRS OF A GIESHA.
I think I was in class six or seven when I saw the movie in tits and bits. I could not understand a lot back then and skipped some scenes too!!


But later when I watched the movie again it instantly became one of my favorite. I knew it was based on the novel under the same name and one month back I purchased it through Flipkart.



The book is a masterpiece in itself giving an insight to the lives of a GIESHA. If you don't know then here is the meaning of Giesha for you - "Geisha, geiko or geigi are traditional Japanese female entertainers who act as hostesses and whose skills include performing various Japanese arts such as classical music, dance and games." If you have only watched the movie you have only seen one fourth of it. The book is so much descriptive and detailed in nature but still has its own flow and I never felt boring while reading.


The writer is so much aware that people outside Japan will not be able to understand all the customs and rituals and all the dressing attire..so he explains everything so simply that even a child will be able to understand them all.


Sayuri's upbringing, her agony, her desire to meet the chairman and her dream of becoming a giesha is so beautifully described that at some moment it appear that Sayuri is so familiar with me and her pain and love is also making me laugh and cry and smile at different moments.



I have read books where after a point of time the book loses its flow and makes it tiresome for the reader. But I did not have a single moment that I wanted to put the book without reading a substantial amount.
An absolute must read and a classic in itself.

Comments

Popular Posts