Awadhi Chicken Korma / Chicken Korma Awadhi Style

This week has become quite eventful from the beginning. I got my masalas delivered to me from India recently..and I was all above the seventh sky when I finally laid my hands on them. Who knew...someday spices will make me soooo happy! But then again..my phone was all going bonkers. It stopped functioning that night. So, next day hubby bought a new phone for me!! Initially I was reluctant...but once I got the phone on my hand...it was all yaayyy!!! It was like giving a shiny, new toy to a playful child. I pushed away everything..and installed all my useful apps there. Once I became familiar with all the functions, it joined my kept aside laptop and tab. By then the child had become tired and was feeling all sleepy!Phew!!!






My physiotherapy session also started this week. We were attended there by a very sweet lady, who helped us with our forms and insurance papers. She spoke beautiful French. Although I understand very little French, her words were like a song to my ears. So wonderful!! Prcatically, I was so moved by her conversation that coming back home I started my French lessons again. And after having some rough time with my French...I thought its better to take a break and try something else..that will soothe my mind.


As for cooking I took a break from the Hyderabadi and Mughlai cuisine and tried my hands with some Awadhi Cuisine dishes. My first choice was Awadhi Chicken Korma.  Awadhi cuisine comes from the city of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, and this cuisine is highly influenced by Mughlai Cuisine. This chicken korma in Awadhi Style is a bit different from the Mughlai Chicken Korma, with which we are more familiar with. The Awadhi Chicken Korma, although infused with rich spices and nuts, has a mild flavor and taste. This Chicken Korma in Awadhi style goes best with naan or roti. So, prepare and enjoy..a beautiful and delectable, tasty journey.



Chicken Awadhi Korma / Chicken Korma Awadhi Style
Serves 4-5


Ingredients:

  • Chicken 1kg 
  • 6 medium onions - sliced, fried and made into a smooth paste
  • 2 cups of tomato puree
  • 3-4 green chilies - paste
  • 1 and 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 8 fat cloves of garlic - paste
  • 2 and 1/2 inch ginger stick - paste
  • 3 tbsp cashew nut / almond paste
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin powder
  • 2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 3 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala powder
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • a pinch of mace powder (its my addition. I love its flavor.)
  • 4 green cardamom
  • 2 black cardamom
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 inch cinnamon stick
  • ghee - 1/4 cup
  • salt
Method:
  • Marinate the chicken with yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, green chili paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt, for at least 1 hour.
  • Heat the ghee and temper it with green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
  • When the ghee becomes fragrant add the chicken pieces to it, shaking off the excess marination mixture.
  • Cook on high flame until both sides of the chicken gets a little golden. Now add the excess marination mixture, tomato puree. Mix everything evenly and put cover. Do not add water, as the chicken and yogurt will release enough water to cook the chicken on its own. Put the flame on low and cook for 15 minutes.
  • By this time the gravy will thicken a bit and the chicken will be almost cooked. Now add the fried onion paste, cashew nut/almond paste, cream and put cover again. Cook for more 10 minutes or until the chicken is done properly. If the gravy has dried too much, then add a little water.
  • Now add the garam masala powder and mace powder. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  • Simmer for more 4-5 minutes, or until the gravy reaches your desired consistency and put off the flame.

Comments

Popular Posts